Damn Funny Lah

Burning Passion! Boyfriend’s ‘Welcome Home’ Tribute in Candles Destroys His House

Gives a new meaning to the Elvis song, "Burning in Love"

Gives a new meaning to the Elvis song, “Burning in Love”

It was intended as a romantic gesture to welcome his girlfriend home from a month abroad. But a hapless boyfriend’s attempt at setting the mood backfired when candles he placed on the bedroom floor started a blaze which then tore through the house.

With champagne chilling and flowers scattered, Amanj Issen used tea lights to spell out his girlfriend’s name and a heart. However, as he waited excitedly by the front door for Jana Stankeviciute to return, he heard a loud bang. MrIssen ran upstairs at their home in Chatham, Kent, only to be beaten back by flames and smoke. The couple’s bedroom was destroyed by the fire on Saturday and the rest of the terraced house suffered smoke damage.

He could have just stuck to the wine and roses.

He could have just stuck to the wine and roses.

Miss Stankeviciute, 24, said she was still touched when Mr Issen showed her photos of the display – and he insisted he would repeat the gesture ‘but maybe just with flowers and chocolates’. His girlfriend had been visiting family in Latvia and was almost home when he was forced to call 999.

“I just wanted to surprise Jana as I had not seen her in so long. She called me when she was just a couple of minutes away and asked if I could meet her outside the house to help her with her bags. I told her that I was already outside and that I was in big trouble.”

She still loved him. That's what counts, right? Not how much the house costs...

She still loved him. That’s what counts, right? Not how much the house costs…

When the builder explained what had happened, his girlfriend simply assured him that she was happy nobody had been hurt. Mr Issen added: ‘The first thing she said to me was ‘I’m just glad you are OK’. Then I showed her the picture of the candles and she said “wow”. She really loved it.”

The ‘stressed’ couple are urgently looking for new accommodation as the rented home – which they have lived in for 15 months – has been destroyed by fire and smoke.

This article is courtesy of The Daily Mail. The original article can be found here.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

To Top