Last week, Mdm Tan had been separating 2 of her hamsters who were involved in a fight when 1 of the hamsters bit her thumb.
She later complained of numbness in her tongue and hand.
She was sent to hospital where she subsequently slipped into a coma and passed away on Friday (25 May).
The cause of Mdm Tan’s death is uncertain, pending an autopsy report.
Doctors say that it’s rare for a person to die from a hamster bite as hamsters are not venomous creatures.
One family clinic doctor interviewed said it’s possible that Mdm Tan could have had an allergic reaction to the bite due to a pre-existing condition.
Mdm Tan, who has 3 daughters aged 2 to 10, was very fond of hamsters and would often post pictures of them on her Facebook page.