Trial has begun for Former Ang Mo Kio Town Council general manager Wong Chee Meng, aka Victor Wong, who has pleaded not guilty to bribery charges.
The 58-year-old is accused of taking bribes totalling S$107,000 from two company directors to advance the business interests of their companies with AMKTC.
At the time, Wong was serving as both general manager and secretary of AMKTC.
He was also working for CPF Facilities Management – the managing agent hired by AMKTC to manage the estate.
Wong is accused of 55 counts of corruption for bribes allegedly received between Dec 2014 and Sept 2016.
• Remittances to Wong’s mistress in China worth $30,600;
• Restaurant bills worth $5,000;
• A $13,500 discount on a Toyota Corolla Altis that Wong bought;
• A spa treatment in Geylang that cost around $1,070;
• Stays at budget hotels Fragrance Hotel and Hotel 81, which cost about $35 and $30 respectively;
• Entertainment expenses of more than $40,000 at various KTV lounges and nightclubs;
• A job for Wong’s daughter-in-law Le Thi Hien at the firm 4-Ever Engineering. Chia’s company 19-ANC Enterprise paid $8,247.67 towards her salary between March and August 2016;
• Charges amounting to $2,527.76 for Wong’s use of an M1 mobile phone line.
AMKTC appointed a new general manager, Ang Boon Peng, to replace Wong last April.
Ong’s trial, which began today, is expected to last 3 days.
If convicted, he can be fined up to S$100,000 and jailed for a maximum of 7 years on each charge.
The town council has since appointed a new general manager, Mr Ang Boon Peng, last April – about five months after Wong was removed.
Chia Sin Lan, the director of companies 19-ANC Enterprise and 19-NS2 Enterprise, is also on trial for corruption.