Headlines

Former NUS Foreign Student Tells Fellow Vietnamese: “Stay Away from Singapore, It Doesn’t Respect Us”

redwire-singapore-nus-grad-dont-come-singapore-a
A former National University of Singapore student has told openly advised his fellow Vietnamese countrymen to avoid Singapore.

Tran Doan Khanh Vu apparently had a bad experience with Singapore customs officials, and that led him to conclude that Singapore doesn’t respect Vietnamese people.

Commenting on Facebook, he said:

“Stay away from this country as much as you can”. You pay the money to this country for business, for travelling… and you deserve to be treated better than this. If the country does not respect you, try going to another country for vacation…”

The incident involved his aunt, who was detained when she came to visit Singapore.

Vu claims that customs officers detained his aunt, who’s over 50 years old, without any explanation for several hours.

He claimed that his aunt was only “saved” after another young Vietnamese girl intervened and spoke to the customs officers.

This is Vu’s account of the incident:

“2.5 months back, my aunt was supposed to be arriving to Singapore normally with my mother, her first trip overseas. As she is a woman of her 50s, I just write a letter for her to be safe, stating they are my aunt and mother, travelling here to visit me, with the departing day to be 3 days later, staying in my house, having the expense paid by me, and all other details about me like my name, my company, FIN number, phone number, house address. So, I expect in worst case, they would call me.

Nevertheless, on that day, I was standing at the arrival hall, 1.5 hours had passed and both of them had not gone out. I have no idea what happened to them. Later my mother came out first, saying that they kept my aunt inside, without stating any reason. She (nearly 70 years old) was waiting for almost one hour at the custom for my aunt, and finally giving and coming out for my help. The custom, even though seeing my letter, did not call me at all. I had to go to information counter to explain the issue, only to receive a piece of paper containing ICA phone number. I called for almost 20 minutes, nobody picked up.

I approached the officials at arrival hall, telling them to let me go in and talk with the customs inside. They did not allow me, and forced me to stay outside. One Singaporean staff advised me to wait for a few more hours since his mother in law, also Vietnamese, got kept there a few hours every time she flies to Singapore. 8 PM Singapore time, and my mother had nothing in her stomach since she had checked in at 3 PM Singapore time. I couldn’t take her home, since I didn’t know whether my aunt would get released or not. What if she got released and I was not there?

Later, the ICA staff picked up the phone. I stated my aunt name, her flight, passport number, just to receive a very Singaporean reply:”Don’t worry, we only keep her for more investigation. She will be released soon”. My reply, very simple:”Don’t lie to me. I know what you would do to her during the investigation. She is 50s +, around the age of your mom. What if your mom got kept like that, are you happy? What if you expel my aunt the next day?”. After a few more arguments between me and that staff, he just hanged up.

Great, I stood there for another 30 minutes, feeling hopeless. I had to call one friend of mine at home to go to the airport and brought my mother home, since I had to stay there, probably up to the next morning. Luckily, a few minutes later, my aunt got released, thanks to the help of a young Vietnamese girl during the interview, who also got kept in the room.

So, my conclusion to all Vietnamese fellows:’Stay away from this country as much as you can”. You pay the money to this country for business, for travelling… and you deserve to be treated better than this. If the country does not respect you, try going to another country for vacation…'”

25 Comments

25 Comments

1. chua c h

October 22, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Our immigration officers are already considered very polite, tolerant and helpful.

Think this ungrateful scholar or student should have his head examined. The immigration officers in their country work in different manner and are not noted to be polite or helpful.

He forgot they come from communist and Viet war background.

It is just not polite criticising host unless this letter was faked to instigate.

If he was the one facing customs in Vancouver, Canada or Los Angeles, NY City, Paris or many European airports and spoke the way he did – he would have have been immediately sent on the next plane home.

By the way, I have come across some Viet students studying here and they are very very rude and haughtly. Maybe they encountered too many rude singaporeans who forgot to be good hosts and hurl obscenities at them resulting in tears in social fabric and their feeling hurt and defensive.

Many react the way they do maybe coz of way lusty ah peks and pimps treat and abuse their women who came voluntarily or not in flesh trade.

• Ha Thanh

October 26, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Are you a real Thai? I do not believe you are a normal Thai.

2. bay

October 23, 2015 at 10:39 am

Hmm.. In my opinion, it is their job to do the random checks as part of the security measures. BUT, holding a middle aged woman for more than 2 hours is just too much. Very inefficient.

3. Christine Lim

October 23, 2015 at 11:21 am

Thank you, foreign dog. We don’t welcome any more foreign dogs so go somewhere else, we don’t want yr money.

• Dr. Robert Tran

October 27, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Christina Lim you just made Singaporean very proud. In most civilized society when we came to some disagreement with each other we sat down and discussed the issues, we do not call them foreign dog like you did.

• Brian Bui

October 30, 2015 at 6:35 pm

So, are you a local dog? lol.

• Singapork

December 28, 2015 at 12:49 am

YEah and pls dont cross border to Malaysia….we dont need singapork here also

• Tiffany

April 4, 2019 at 9:17 am

Say tht about your own self OK. Calling other country names isnt it doing the same as her.

4. Franky

October 24, 2015 at 12:40 am

To be frank, the custom officers are just doing their duty. It’s understandable for them to do some investigation with any one trying to entry the country. However, the author’s opinion is certainly proven by the comments here :)

5. Michael

October 25, 2015 at 5:09 pm

No matter what the story is correct or not, Singaporean folks came here and call foreign citizen a “dog” is unacceptable by all aspects. It is also very annoying and unethical to criticize on foreign nation status whereas we are not so sure if we are Singapore really not communist?

6. Tan

October 26, 2015 at 4:46 am

At first I thought this article is a mistake as Singapore is such a developed country for such incident to happen. I was planning my vacation to Singapore this year. However, after reading the comments, I realized many Singaporeans are hostile and bias against other nationality. While one of my best friend is Singaporean, I refuse to go to this country if it doesn’t at least attempt to treat people fairly. We live in a day and age that people are deserved to be respected.

• Tiffany

April 4, 2019 at 9:15 am

Sorry sad to say this but a lot of FT came to our country and misused our trust snatch our rice bowls and bullied us by bringing their bad habits and culture in SG. To be honest I met a lot of Viet and Myanmar myself esp during study days. They will try to backstab you and snatch your project and make false rumors lucky teacher didn’t believe. This is just school in adult working life esp on MRT. I encountered this Viet lady swinging her long hair and flipping it like she is the Queen. You know how disgusting it is to let hair touch me esp when I have allegry to dust abd mild ocd. Other ppl if know tht their hair touches some one they apologise and when I politely tell her she shouts at me say she say sorry already what and scold my mum (vulgar words that will indirectly shoot at your mum) and then proceed to act victim but you can see her face so ugly and like a monster when she shout. A lot of Viet come SG to married and proceed to act so arrogant and destory our garden city . If tht guy can talk nicely or reach out to the proper channel this will not happened at all. With so many bombing and threats Singapore needs to protect its own citizen and not some FT tht is not related to us at all. You tell us Singapore is bad try doing that in USA or Canada or aust let’s see what will happened or even Malaysia(a country tht official are so corrupted and take money just to settle issue) . Op said his mum hungry, if you know your mum is here why NV prep snacks or money and go the nearest food store get her food first? And why never get her a mobile phone? This op story seems so fake and isn’t calm in doing things so I believe he could have shouted or show impatient towards the officer and never respect them. And ICA officer or call centre agent will never agrue with you or slam your phone down how I know because I work under gov call centre before we have our SOP to follow So this guy just wanna attention only. Simple as that. Yes we do have rude Singaporean but not only Singapore have. All over the world have rude ppl including Viet itself so pls don’t talk like Viet is so good is god………..

7. Sarah Melinda

October 26, 2015 at 11:04 am

Christina Lim looks like you need to be a lot more educated yourself. Leaving such rude comments!

8. SingaporeKing

July 10, 2016 at 12:29 am

Yeah.We want you shit vietnamese all stay out of Singapore.That is why ICA treat you shit vietnamese in this shit way.Only vietnamese and not other nations.Cos Singapore hate vietnam.Dont come Singapore,or Singapore will punish you.

• Miken Nakamura

October 23, 2016 at 9:36 pm

I have to agree with this Vietnamese guy. Singaporeans treat all other nationalities terribly: Japanese, Indians, Arabs, Filipinos, Thais, Chinese, Europeans, Americans, Eurasians (even Singapore-born).

Singaporeans even treat their own kind terribly and are terrible racists to other fellow Singaporeans who are not Singaporean Chinese.

9. SingaporeKing

July 10, 2016 at 12:58 am

Well done ICA.You done a good job in preventing crimes by not allowing vietnamese to come into Singapore.But why you allow the 2 vietnamese burglars to come and steal in the pasir panjang wholesale centre You should have completely disallow all vietnamese to come Singapore.Then things like the pasir panjang incident will not happen.Out of 10 vietnamese coming to Singapore,9 are here to do crimes.Robbers,thieves,burglars,drug dealers,illegal prostitudes,illegal bargirls etc.

10. Anonymous

October 22, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Talking nonsense
    Maybe your aunt has came to Singapore to work as Prostitute. There are plenty of Vietnamese Prostitutes in Singapore.

Singapore Immigration is the best organisation in the world.

Your country cannot afford to give you a good education. That’s the reason you are studying in Singapore.

If Vietnam is efficient and good, what the fuck are you doing in Singapore?

• kelly

October 24, 2016 at 11:30 pm

So, is someone here indirectly admitting that this was done (by immigration) just because THEY ARE VIETNAMESE WOMEN and suspected of moonlighting as social escorts here? Is this not racism then?

11. Gordon

October 23, 2016 at 2:16 pm

First you came here for free education and did the host treat you badly? Immigration check is random and it just happened to your aunt. You Became angry and said singapore is proud and do not respect Vietnamese. Think you are a brainless and ungrateful scholar accepted by equally brainless white monkeys.

12. Miken Nakamura

October 23, 2016 at 9:35 pm

13. kelly

October 24, 2016 at 11:23 pm

What was she investigated for? Did they say WHY?

Get it DOWN in black and white – even in email. If they refuse, then something is not right. There should be a reason given for investigations and your aunt CAN REFUSE to talk to anyone except a lawyer.

Our SG police are very well-known for giving even innocent citizens a STERN WARNING letter even when they have NOT committed any crimes.

14. Linh Anh

October 25, 2016 at 1:39 am

There must have been a reason why ICA detained your aunt. Singapore officers are very polite and efficient and would not have done so without cause.

Singaporeans are very kind people, but overcrowding and the continuous influx of foreign workers have caused some clashes between the cultures.

15. David

October 25, 2016 at 1:43 am

This is just an isolated incident.

16. SingaporeKing

February 22, 2017 at 1:48 am

Singaporeans treat vietnamese in this way because many singaporeans were robbed,bullied by vietnamese hooligans & police in vietnam.

17. Song boh

April 3, 2019 at 7:15 pm

Seriously, i would be happy if all of them dont come. SG is alreadt overy crowded… pleasr remain in vietnam.

Btw feel free to go other countries.

Thank you.