Molest Cases on Public Transport Jump 49 Percent from Last Year!

Posted on Oct 23 2017 - 6:13pm by Redwire Singapore

redwire-singapore-mrt-molest-c74
The number of molest cases on public transport rose to 152 from January to September this year.

That’s a 49 percent jump from the same period last year.

This was revealed by police in a media release yesterday.

The call for women-only carriages on trains came as far back as 2012, when a female commuter wrote to the Straits Times urging transport operators to help protect the modesty of women.

Pek Hui Xian said:

“I was taking a train on the East-West Line on my way to work at 8.20am on Monday, and as usual, the train carriages were packed. I was disturbed by the sight of a middle-aged man who had pushed his way into the crowded train, and whose body was pressed against the chest of a pubescent schoolgirl who looked to be about 12 years old.”

(READ: Bangladeshi Worker Molests Girls in School Uniform on the MRT; One Victim was only 13 Years Old)

Last year, Ministry of Home Affairs Parliamentary Secretary Amrin Amri reported in parliament that in just trains alone, there were 65 molest cases in 2013, 79 in 2014 and 69 in 2015.

Mr Amrin said at the time that there was “no need at present to include warning signs in trains”, and that there were no plans to introduce women-only carriages, as the number of molest cases on trains were “very small”, at 5 per cent of total outrage of modesty cases each year.

redwire-singapore-china-women-only-train-carriage
At present, countries like the United Arab Emirates, China and Japan have implemented women-only carriages on their trains.

Returning to this year’s molest statistics, police dealt with 1168 reported cases of outrage of modesty in the first 9 months of this year– a 20 percent increase from the same period last year.

76 molest incidents took place at public entertainment outlets – an increase of 25 percent from last year.

 

 

Leave A Response