Punggol WP Supporter: “Irresponsible” Lee Li Lian is a “Big Disappointment”

Posted on Sep 18 2015 - 8:38am by Dear Redwire

redwire-singapore-lee-li-lian-punggol-east-81
HELEN: I find it a big disappointment that Lee Li Lian refused to accept her NCMP nomination even though I respect her decision to choose so.

As someone who voted for her in the GE, it’s very disheartening to know that my vote counts for nothing.

If the ELD doesn’t accept Daniel Goh as a new option, then there will be one less opposition voice in parliament.

I think all this must have been clear at the start that, so for the WP to talk about how important it is for more opposition voices to be in parliament to make sure the PAP doesn’t “ownself check ownself” and after that let a chance like that slip by, I find it unsincere.

If you can’t juggle a job and NCMP duties, which are lesser than the duty of a full MP and much less than a Minister plus MP, then how can I trust you and send you to parliament in the next election?

When the going was good, you took the MP role, when times are tough, you don’t want to stay with us and fight.

All the promises have come to nothing and now we are left with Charles Chong.

What happens now to the half of Punggol that doesn’t want him around?

I’m just feeling very betrayed because I found her very sincere and approachable, and willing to go beyond for us, but when the aristocrats tell us we must vote for people of “calibre” I’m beginning to think they might be right.

I haven’t swung yet to that corner yet, but you can call me a swing voter for now.

Hopefully Daniel will get in and he will be more responsible.

Thank you Helen for this letter.
Send us your letters at mail@redwiretimes.com
Find us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/redwire.singapore

9 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. Goh Meng Seng September 18, 2015 at 10:58 am - Reply

I find that Singaporeans are quite unreasonable in their demands on opposition members.

They expect opposition members to knock every door off GE but they do not understand that opposition members do not have funding that would pay their bills and salaries, unlike PAP which will have all sorts of resources via various means to keep their activists alive.

They expect opposition members to take up NCMP appointment without considering the fact that NCMP is quite a disruptive position to most job positions. Unless you run your own business or do freelance jobs, else the amount of disruptions to your day job would be tremendous.

I always tell people, Freedom is NOT Free. Singaporeans should be more understanding and appreciate the tremendous sacrifices many opposition members have already made to keep this opposition movement going. If any of us chose not to do certain things, please be more understanding instead of blaming us of this and that.

Although I run my own little business, but I have always made my stance clear that I will not take up NCMP position as it is a matter of principle. I am against NMP or NCMP system because I view these positions as a “backdoor or side door entrance” into parliament.

So for whatever reasons, Lee Li Lian so chose not to become NCMP, please respect her decision.

2. Nick September 18, 2015 at 11:42 am - Reply

Please respect her decision. She does not owe you her future just because a small minority voted for her.

Lee Li Lian gave her all to the resident in the last 2 years but majority of the residents did not want her in parliament. So why should she still stick around in parliament as a NCMP?

Not being in parliament doesn’t mean she will not continue to serve the residents. Maybe she will, maybe she won’t. But records showed that majority of PAP MP do not attend or speak up in parliament either. I would not blame anyone if oppositions suddenly disappear altogether. After all, Singaporeans have voted overwhelming that they do not need alternate voice, speaking up for them in parliament. So we should respect the majority.

Anyway, Singaporeans do not deserve the risks and efforts that opposition candidates put in.

3. Malcolm Loh September 18, 2015 at 11:46 am - Reply

it’s ok to be a swing voter. it doesnt mean you love Singapore any less

4. CSM September 18, 2015 at 2:42 pm - Reply

So called “supporter”, more likely wolf in sheep’s clothing

5. Funny September 18, 2015 at 7:01 pm - Reply

the amount of time and effort put in by the opposite or any kind if volunteering work if so much. And to consider you still have a full time job.
    Touch your heart, do you do things for free? What did you do as a supporter? Do you donate large amount of money to support or you have been her volunteer to door knocking with her? Would you want to be a MP on either side at all? Have you volunteer in MPS?
    Volunteers spend late nights, long hours, sacrificing family time… I respect volunteers and oppositions who fight rentlessly for a democratic country.

6. SGC September 18, 2015 at 7:15 pm - Reply

Well, this is definitely written by a PAP mole, out to discredit LLL and WP.

It is “irresponsible” for the PAP to scare the voters into thinking Singapore would run into chaos once it loses power, and rather ridiculous one at that considering the poor calibre of most non-WP and non-SDP parties.

WP/LLL’s decision to not take up the NCMP post is good, and would send the right signal that that would be what you get if you choose PAP over one more Opposition voice. After all, WP rightly rejects the NCMP scheme as a bogus ‘voice of opposition’ nonsense.

If you ask me, I would have wanted WP to reject all 3 NCMP seats, and maybe give SDP a chance to enter Parliament.

Saying LLL’s decision is ‘irresponsible’ is itself ‘irresponsible’. I bet it came from a PAP supporter.

7. Darkeng September 19, 2015 at 11:03 am - Reply

Everyone had their choice of live and she had make her choice and she also never mention she was disappointed with you votes that did not vote for her. As she clearly know is your choice… So don’t such an uneducated people to say she is not being responsible… You voter are not responsible as you vote for who is who you get la…

8. Sean September 20, 2015 at 12:47 am - Reply

“Swing voters”. Do they vote to voice their immediate needs or do they vote for the country’s long term future?

9. SK September 20, 2015 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Just because she doesn’t choose to be an NCMP doesn’t make her any less responsible. If she has not done her part well while being your MP during her term, then you can call her one. Please note these are distinctly clear differences.

Leave A Response