Headlines

SCDF NSman Kills Himself, Overwhelmed by In-Camp Punishments and Family Problems

redwire-singapore-scdf-nsman-commit-suicide-1
Shek Salmin would have turned 20 in October this year.

But he chose to cut short the road ahead, overwhelmed by family problems, and punishment meted out by his SCDF supervising officer.

Shek is believed to have committed suicide at around 1.30am yesterday (17 Aug).

In a parting text message to a buddy, he talked about how he felt stressed at home and angry at being repeatedly charged by the SCDF, which made him feel useless.

redwire-singapore-scdf-nsman-commit-suicide-2a
According to SCDF mate TB Karim, Shek was facing charges for not reporting back to camp on time.

This tardiness was supposedly because he had to tend to family issues.

Karim says that Shek had been sent to detention barracks as punishment before, and ended his life hours before he was due to face more charges.

“This is my best friend Shek Salmin whom passed away today coz of my ENCIK SSG TAN TECK BENG from 1st Divion SCDF .. He has tried to explain himself to this encik multiple time. he have been going through alot of family issues and this encik delibrately chose not to understand his situation and charged him for coming to camp late. Shek has always told us about how worried he was if anything happens to him and no one would be able to takecare of his grandmother. She is very old and forgetful and also has poor vision. Shek tried to explain to his encik many times that he will not be able to come camp on time due to family issues but the encik always choose to ignore everthing he had to say to explain himself. Encik tan proceeded to charge him which led him to Detension Barracks ( DB ) for four days just for being late to camp for 2 hours .. The encik wasn’t willing to listen to his explanation and straight away chareged him. A week or two after he was released from db, he was late for camp again and this very encik still choose to not let him explain himself and charged him again. Shek was supposed to get charged today 17 August 2015. He committed sucide today morning at around 1am. Is this what they mean by if you have any issues you can talk to them and they will definitely try to Help you cause everyone is equal? What is this suppose to mean? Is everyone gonna see and let this issue slip away like that? If you have read this post till here i thank you for your time. It only takes another second to share this post. Also remember that in the future people from your family are going to serve the nation soon. Dont let this happen to anyonethem. My condolences to my dear friend’s family. Below is the last converstion between Shek Salmin and his friend before commited sucide.”

An hour before his death, Shek shared his sadness over the in-camp punishments and a wrecked family life in a series of Facebook posts.

He said that he felt like a burden to his superiors in the SCDF, and that his only joy in life was playing football.

redwire-singapore-scdf-nsman-commit-suicide-3
Other friends of Shek have expressed their grief at his death, though they weren’t sure why he would take his own life.

He apparently only confided in close friends about the pressures which tipped him over the edge.

redwire-singapore-scdf-nsman-commit-suicide-4

As recent as May this year, Singapore saw the death of another national serviceman, which is largely suspected to be a case of suicide.

A 20-year-old police national serviceman was found dead inside a locked security post in the Tanglin area with a gunshot wound to his head.

He is believed to have drawn his service revolver from the armoury during his night shift, proceeded to his duty point, and shot himself.

(READ: SCDF Under Fire for NSMan’s Suicide)

99 Comments

99 Comments

1. Muhd Sufian

August 18, 2015 at 11:58 am

by COMMITTING SUICIDE won’t SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM & etc but by COMMITTING to SOLAT (PRAYER) will SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM & etc…

• :/

August 18, 2015 at 3:51 pm

you should totally leave religion out of matters like this

• LISA SOH

August 18, 2015 at 4:29 pm

really? well, we have our own beliefs and religions. what are you? a free-thinker?

• Hafiz

August 19, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Lisa. Are you working in MHA?

• Kelvin

August 19, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Wow…it doesnt matter if he is free-thinker

Someone commited suicide and the 1st comment was praying will help cure it??

Do you guys think praying will solve depression ? Seriously…this is why i became a free-thinker.

• :!

August 18, 2015 at 6:30 pm

They are muslims, and even if they are not, religion is proven to help. What he said makes some sense too. Just saying.

• Truth Seeker

August 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Please don’t say that because only immature souls think that The Creator has nothing to do with their lives. They don’t really know their very own purpose or existence in this world. More sad to it, is when people try to spread the truth – they reject. :’-( [P.S. I am not referring to the person who committed suicide. Am referring to those who took The Creator out of the context of their lives]

• anonymous

August 19, 2015 at 12:04 am

People seek truth their own way. So your thinking of those ‘immature’ souls can be a insult to them, which includes me. Would love to maintain a positive converstaion here without any argument over religions. All we can do is to fight for what is right if what the last message left by shek was true. We should all fight for a better future instead :)

• Dharma Halyn

August 18, 2015 at 4:19 pm

How does facing a black box, five times a day solve his issue? He faced something that not alot of us faced and I understand it is hard for him going through it. Family support and peer support is important in every situation like this.

• Raudhah

August 18, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Firstly: Please learn about the religion (I’m talking about any religion) and get your facts straight before making any comments. If you do not know the correct terms or the correct way of saying about the religion, then, do not make any assumptions / judgement or better yet, do not say anything about it.

Secondly: There is some point to what the previous person said. While I sympathize over his death, I also sympathize the fact that despite being a muslim, maybe he did not pray enough to have faith that he could overcome his problem. In Islam, we believe that we will never be given something that we cannot handle & if we make the effort to solve the problem, pray for the problem to be eased and have faith that the problem will be solved, we can overcome that problem. Maybe he did try his best with his efforts but I pity that maybe he lacked in his prayers and faith to overcome his problem. In fact, I think this does not only apply to Islam but other religion as well.

• Anon

August 19, 2015 at 11:38 am

Yea yeaaaa ur religion is sooo great. No one ever kills each other or commit suicide right? *rolls eyes*

• Servant of the almighty god

August 19, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Hey anon are you retarded or being such an asshole stupid dungu that you can’t know the differences between advise an defending?
            Your comments clearly show what your intention you yourself know…do you have religion to belief or your religion taught you this manner I bet not much people would choose that religion..every humand kind regardless of race will be taught and raise by they respective ancestors of what they truly belief but we know there is only possible to be just one only one creator and when the times come this one God will eventually show sign to every individual of which are the right path and religion that we humand kind should apply and that is the time that someone like you that have such a black heart will say what you have said in your comment that will I see as the non believer that is one plus even provoking it clearly show that who is playing with the devil. My advice if you are not pious enough then don’t open your mouth if you doesn’t even serve or being thankful of your creator then don’t even try to understand someone religion….may you return back to the right path and my last words may peace be upon you anon…pls serve God don’t deserve the Satan cause the fire is really damm hot ….

• Zak

August 19, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Dear Raudhah,

I really hate to comment about religion. It is a personal thing.

May I kindly ask who appointed you to be the judge of a person’s deeds? There is no way to quantify whether someones’s prayer is enough, accepted or otherwise. Do not assume what you do not know of.

Great that you emphatise with him though.I believe praying for his soul would be a better option instead of looking to the past. Whats done is done.

• xD

August 20, 2015 at 10:31 am

Never pray enough. Lu baik. Can become ustazah already.

• Suri

August 18, 2015 at 6:49 pm

1st, condolences to his family n loves one.
      Been there n done that (not the shooting). My life was so messed up! Family n work was bad, n living was miserable. My suicide attemp failed n thankfully I live n realised, there’s more to life! It’s my life n my choice how I want to manage it. I can’t control others or fate but I can mange myself. I turn to religion n see things differently. I hope, others if u r down or depress, seek help. If not religiously, then thru the proper means…there’s more to life. N tat scum Encik, pls, when boys serve NS, they become a MAN. Man wth reponsibilities. Treat them humanely not like slaves or pariahs. Hope this incident will be a lesson to u n all officers.

• K

August 18, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Wtf? You ownself obsessed with your religion that’s fine. If everything can be solved by your religion why are you still here?

RIP to the guy. Shame on the encik!

• boy

August 18, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Dude, dun bring religion into this mess. i can see that the family isnt the type to bother about religion so even if it is true that religion can help, i doubt that he got a religious person outreach to him.

If what he said is true then there’s family abuse going on the family. lets just doa for him.

• Bondasyin

August 18, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I second that Muhd Sufian..
      However, many of our youth require guidance.. its too late of such comment. Its all between him and the Almighty now.. thus befriend ur youths and guide whichever and whenever we can.. best regards.. peace upon you..

• Siti Munawarah

August 19, 2015 at 1:52 pm

pray and pray but still face the same shit also cannot solve anything what.prayers alone won’t help solve anything.so if got ebola, pray also ah? God help immediate cure is it? No money sit pray pray, no need work money come ah? Siao. The problem is, no one listened to him.

• peace

August 19, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I one of those who suffered depression. I m Muslim in the name but no practice until at the stage, life is meaningless to me, with the help of my sis and advice of my late dad to build up my belief and strengthen my faith i started my prayer not 5 times a day but as and when the pain trigger me. I could laugh, in a while I could cry or got angry with myself and feels like ending my life. Now I’m free not taking any medications but prayers does help and I want to tell you what you said is true!! Now I prayed 5 times a day!!!

Thank you allah, you are my creator and you are everything to me!

• Diviino

August 25, 2015 at 10:14 pm

I salute you for what you said. Allah, the most merciful, the most gracious, the most forgiving. Allah wont push us to the limit we cant face. I personally believe we should never give up in life or give up our lives.

• dat one thing

August 20, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Praying won’t cure depression, he needs(needed) someone to talk to, to share his burdens, not committing to the God(s) at difficult times. Yes, being religious can help but only till a certain extent. I am a believer but in a situation like this, it’d be best to meet a psychiatrist or a counselor perhaps. Not all free-thinkers are atheists btw.

2. theresa

August 18, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Govt,do something about this!

3. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Please provide Counselling services available in SCDF at all times so that they can pick up the phone and call for help ….

• Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm

The encik need counselling. Hope one day he `ll see his close kin experience the way he treat the ns boys.

• BJ

August 18, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Counselling is useless unless the counsellors are empowered to either make changes or officially reflect the issues faced by the NSF to higher authorities who can make a decision for change.

4. Sandy oh

August 18, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Govt pls c this… PAP pls do something… Dont let this happen in our land our home our country again. Feel sad for this young guy.

5. A kogilah

August 18, 2015 at 3:29 pm

How to feel safe for the young generation. My condolences to the family n also there should be an investigations.

6. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 3:35 pm

I agree with Bj, all the Singapore Army Officers in charge, please treat our NSman Soldiers with understanding, respect and to think everyone has different stories and mentally capacities to accept the hardship in their own trainings and service.

7. d

August 18, 2015 at 3:40 pm

This is outrageous. The Encik should always listen and not be such a hard and inflexible person. I pray that his soul rest in peace.

8. Ella

August 18, 2015 at 3:48 pm

First of, my condolences to Shek’s family.

Wake up your idea government. and to the Encik, i hope you’ll remember this for the entire of your life. because of you, someone committed suicide due to your lack of understanding and humanity. you could’ve and should’ve help Shek, but instead, you push him further away. you are the worst Encik. Maybe in others’ eye, Shek is so stupid for killing himself. But you guys have to understand, if you are under any strong feelings or depression, you can barely think sanely. so don’t you ever blame a person for committing suicide.

and do not put religion into this kind of situation.

• Muhd Sufian

August 18, 2015 at 5:50 pm

A person, who commits suicide, does so believing it an escape from his crisis so he ends his life willing to bear a moment of pain and may throw himself of a cliff. Yet this hadith shows that he actually brings upon himself that pain not just momentarily but again and again in Hell-fire.

• :!

August 18, 2015 at 6:33 pm

If the encik, who now or has been kena-ing shit also, decides(decided) to end his life too, would it help? We all kena shit in life, there are many other ways to get through this INCLUDING religion. What you said about being understanding and more compassionate towards people would also help too, but we cannot always expect others to treat us that way. Even if others don’t treat us right, suicide is not the answer.

• Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 7:18 pm

9. Robin

August 18, 2015 at 4:20 pm

The Encik will be promoted to a higher rank. Congrats ENCIK SSG TAN TECK BENG .

Hope you sleep peacefully at night.

• Mazlan

August 18, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Hope the Encik sleep in peace forever…InshaAllah.

10. hmmm

August 18, 2015 at 4:22 pm

innalilah, may his soul find peace, with that said i believe he has weak character… ns supposed to be tough, i when thru it.. infact it nurtured me well.. life isnt easy.. nothing ever is… its how you process and find resolves to your problem.. with what i read..

11. Hazel

August 18, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Condolence to the family.however i dont blame it on the govt.watever it is commiting suicide is nt the easiest way out.if he working do you think you will easily get reasonable boss that understand you gt family problem everytime you late?

12. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 4:31 pm

For that Encik be guilty,,very guilty indeed! SCDF & the government pls do something. I feel for this young chap…pple pls offers prayers in times of hardship

13. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 4:37 pm

WHERE is Encik SSG TAN TECK BENG…. Good Job…well done.. I give you 5 Star…. ARE YOUR Happy Now…. Hope you can Sleep well…..DONT forget somebody is watching at you nowwww.

14. anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 4:44 pm

His Encik SSG TAN TECK BENG failure to understand his men problem , is also a failure of his duty as leader. His Encik should be also reprimanded for not able to know his men problem . Being a NS men before, I know some so called the trainer mete out punishment to their men just to pull their rank.

Better wake up your idea. “ENCIK.”

15. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 4:47 pm

When u r given the responsibility to b a leader,u r also a brother,a father,guardian.Its never easy coming from a broken family.Strong on the surface but will always be weak deep in.

16. Will

August 18, 2015 at 4:53 pm

These officers and Encik…Honestly right, yall hv to stop abusing ur power. I know even if they late u assume is they geng or some shit but at least play safe listen to their explanation then check to see if its true lah. Dun fuck up do this kinda bullshit. Ppl like that Encik do not deserve to be an officer much less even be in NS.

17. Hairul

August 18, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I feel for the bro..though taking one’s life is not the correct way to resolve issue..Officers should take into account the NS men problems espicially when they have personal family problems..I know I was one of those who faced it & thank God my SCDF officers LTA Lee Syh Bin & Ssgt Wang was very understanding coz they look into the matter personally..in the end its the sympathy & empathy for another human being that counts..not the race & religion..Well I guess the late Syek’s in charge would have his work cut out for him.The boy’s “blood” is on his hand..if only the officer took time to really care..

18. din

August 18, 2015 at 5:18 pm

agree with anonymous….the encik shoud be called up and questioned for his harsh behaviour towards his men…I was a ns man in my younger days…my officers and ncos treated me well..

19. Zeref

August 18, 2015 at 5:28 pm

RIP Shek.
    Incmul3

20. IqahJ

August 18, 2015 at 5:37 pm

This is deeply saddening. Its time we close the gap between our physical & psychological health. From young, we treat physical injuries as something that needed to be access immediately but we are not “trained” or “taught” how to aid psychological health. Psychological injuries like feeling lonely, worthless or depressed can get worse if people dont know how to correctly manage it. Breaks my heart to see someone gone just like that

21. Aste

August 18, 2015 at 6:02 pm

I hope the idiotic tan teck beng commit suicide. He should die. May God punish this idiot mercilessly. I pray this tan teck beng’s head will explode with dire stress that he will die a painful and sick death.

22. Tien

August 18, 2015 at 6:24 pm

My condolences. An AWOL is an AWOL, we cannot fault the encik for doing his job. He might have been strict, harsh even, but we cannot always expect others to sympathies with our predicaments. We have to stay strong and push through the hardships. Wrong way out my friend. Nonetheless, and once again, my condolences.

• zainal IS

August 19, 2015 at 12:19 am

Whatever you say…doesn’t matter what matter is your Chinese Encik had took other life, that’s matter!
      Anyway it understood that the Chinese are doing their ethnic cleansing in Singapore.

23. Jul

August 18, 2015 at 6:30 pm

I feel really sorry for this young man. The superior should have a good talk with him and try to understand his situation…and perhaps offer to look into how his situation could be amicably resolve. If there is anyway his grandmother could be well taken care of..perhaps..that will put him to less worry. Why… are there no humanity nor passion at all in the training field?

24. aj

August 18, 2015 at 6:41 pm

maybe it’s us as individuals who should look at our OWN SELVES, and reevaluate who we are as a person. If the individuals this young man encountered in his life were more aware of others and how important it is to LOVE ONESELF, then maybe his experience on earth would have been more peaceful. remember we won’t be able to give OTHERS the love they deserve unless we know how to respectfully love OURSELVES.

he put so much effort into giving out his own self love to OTHERS he didn’t have any left for himself.
    god be with him

25. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 6:41 pm

My brother is also an ns man. I can see that he is facing alot of difficulties. His SCDF encik,jimmy, always charge him for unessacry things.like coming to camp for 5 mins late and etc. so he started taking mc to avoid camp. Im scared that my brother would be like this story. Hope that the government do something about this. Thanks .

• Aw

August 18, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Bro you should tell your bro to man up and be on time. This is NS NOT Playschool. If everyone else can do so, why can’t he? Advice and guide your bro. He’s your responsibility! You should do something coz the government has a bigger role to play. You are the government!

• zainal IS

August 19, 2015 at 12:06 am

Singapore’s Chinese are communist, so they never have a mercy to other races, they are racist in action especially to Muslim community!. The Malay community in Singapore must willing to sacrifice their life to fight for equal freedom in Singapore if not, you will be discriminated from time to time…!!!
      Please wake up and fight for your future generation.

• Anonymous

August 19, 2015 at 12:49 am

I’m a Chinese, I usually stick around with Muslim community.

Mind your words that not all Chinese are racist in actions to Malay or other races.

• Anonymous

August 19, 2015 at 11:15 pm

fuck u play isis izzit?

26. Sarah

August 18, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Alfateha …
    Goverment Do Something !

27. sharleen

August 18, 2015 at 6:57 pm

There is counselling but I guess they are afraid ohf being referred to IMH for some cases n do they do not make use of the counselling sessions. Alternatively superiors can be more compassionate n make a bit of time to hear the recruits out when its needed.the boys are in camp n away from home. Giving a little live n attention is no harm.

28. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 7:20 pm

29. Truth Seeker

August 18, 2015 at 7:21 pm

30. Nora

August 18, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Oh dear, dis is so sad. Real things dat is happening in Spore. My boys will be going thru NS life soon and it scares me alot, praying dat dis same fate will not happen to my boys or other boys out there. Encik, yes you hv to be strict n discipline but at times wen u sense dat there seems to be a problem, pls stop awhile to investigate first befire metting out punishment. Ur stupid judgement causes a loss of lives.

31. Shanthi

August 18, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Condolences to Shek family.
    Not only scdf but saf too. Do not ill treat the nsmen. I as a parent had experienced a lot but lucky I was there fir my child since I was an ex saf personnel and I know how nsmen will be treated. Please do something abt it. Don’t mis use your rank towards the ns men.

32. siti

August 18, 2015 at 7:45 pm

I had gone thru depression myself. My religion is against commiting suicide. When you are at the end of tether. Alot of things would have crossed the mind. Suicide is one of them. To escape from it rather facing and going thru the pain. And because of my faith – religion that I didn’t commit suicide.

It isn’t about the suicide issue that should be discussing. It should be HOW CAN WE HELP OTHERS WHO ARE FACING THE SAME ISSUE? In order not to have the same repercussion.

We couldn’t only expect the GOVT to do something. It has also got to do with us – the society, support avenues to reach out to them. When we reach out even by individually for e.g a friend of the victim get more closer or even stranger to talk to them. And not only advice but extend the help…such as call a hotline n etc
    the small gestures helps. It makes a difference. There was once I was hungry with no food to eat n starving for almost 4 days. My neighbour who I just know asked me out of the blue question. ‘ have you eaten?’ I said ‘No.’ He then proceed to buy me some food though I know he didn’t have much money for himself. I just asked for a prata. Yet that gesture make me feel so grateful n lucky to know I have friends, family, strangers who are willing to extend their help

33. olive

August 18, 2015 at 7:47 pm

The Encik MUST be taken to task.This is too much.Ther is no reason not to suspect that he was pushing the boy too far already.he must have known it yet he proceeded with his harsh behaviour.i hope this haunts him to his dying day.

Good luck man with the rest of your miserable life..
    The Ministry of Defence must look into this and improve protocol so privates cannot be easily pushed int a corner with no voice to fight for them. Counselling should be made mandatory before anyone is sent to db for minor demeanours like not being punctual..Surely that the high ranked could haf thought of???
    Shameless and regretable!

34. Sean

August 18, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Sad story..

35. Grace J

August 18, 2015 at 7:57 pm

I really feel heartbroken for this young man. With his own problems at home, he was not able to handle the extra problems at NS. My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones. Power and position in the wrong hands can spell disaster. Unfortunately it ismthis Encik type of people who always end up with power and abuse it. Would it have hurt the Encik just to listen and perhaps arrange some counselling for this young man. And although I believe that prayers are powerful in situations like this the person has lost all hope and cannot think for themselves. If they could they wouldn’t kill themselves in the first place. For us, we can pray for his soul to rest in peace and for our authorities, they can ensure it does not happen to another one of our Singapore sons.

36. zul

August 18, 2015 at 7:59 pm

PreviousLy i was in SCDF when i serve my NS..& i was in intake 80+..i use to have a prob like this late Shek & honestLy it takes me 7yrs to complete my NS due to problems & problems i have to face..but the difference is i had this one GOOD officer Sir Eng Cheek Yoong..he’s one of the officer that i trueLy respect.. a TrueLy GOOD & very Understanding officer that never fail to help a problematic NSF like me previousLy..w/o officer like him maybe i cant complete my NS..so officers Pls have a heart & brain like a humanbeing..Help out those NSF who really need it..they wont ask u much just listen to their problem & have a heart & brain to understand them..

37. Nonama

August 18, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Another NSmen driven to take his own life. Poor Shek he could only lament his failures in the military and family issues through FB. If only someone heard his cries for help then this would not happen. I believe the constant pressure from his officer pushed him over the edge. Gahmen will not do anything about it. What’s the point to serve yr country when the gahmen do not care about their own people. Low wages, being bullied and emotionally abused.
    RIP Shek. May God hv mercy on yr soul.

38. joe

August 18, 2015 at 8:28 pm

I really feel that the CO sould investigate on this matter n question the encik. It does not mean just becauce he has his rank he should not listen to his man’s problems. I was a regular in the SAF from 1980-90 n was n encik to. For me, this encik shold take full reponsiblelity on this matter.

39. Mr Ng

August 18, 2015 at 8:35 pm

NS is every parents nightmare! If the encik caused my boys death I will make sure he cannot live peacefully. They garang in camp only. Outside they walk with their nutties hidden in between their legs. Nabeh

40. truth

August 18, 2015 at 8:56 pm

we didnt choose to be in ns we are forced to.with that said full time civil servants should understand that there is gonna be stubborn nsf who find this ns as waste of time like me personally.and nsf whom before ns has already alot of problems and now adding ns making life more miserable.I really think there should be an option here or atleast decrease the ns serving time and reservist also.alot incident happened just not publish and I can say for all that we demand change

41. Some1concerned

August 18, 2015 at 10:17 pm

My condolence to his family and friends. I personally know SSG Tan and he is described as what the writer has mention, Ignorant, commanding. I get to see his stucked up face every year ICT. (I am from 1st Div). But if we look at the other side of the story, SSG Tan has a job to do, to uphold standards and integrity. Therefore, this unfortunate event can be avoided if both parties came into mitigation and come up with resolutions earlier. Easier said that being done, “what done can not be undone”, our government has not been proactive about preventive measures, especially to the welfare of our people. GE 2015 is coming up, Please vote wisely…

42. Anonymous

August 18, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Rip, i had a son at 19 kill himself 3 yrs ago at tis time, till now still hard for me to accept. Be strong n move on .

43. Prema

August 18, 2015 at 10:23 pm

RIP Fren

44. olive

August 18, 2015 at 10:56 pm

What on Earth has the government done for our boys? They keep giving teachers money but for NS boys, they get the death sentence?it is about time the government recognises the sacrifices made by these boys and make due rewards .Otherwise, why would they even bother to defend this country i wonder?No respect for them, no realy genuine care for their welfare and what more no safety net for when these our ‘soldiers in the making’ fall!

45. Aw

August 18, 2015 at 11:14 pm

RIP buddy! Sad story.

On that note let’s be fair, it’s not entirely the Encik’s fault as the boy mentioned himself that life at home was ‘even more jialat’ in his FB post. There’s always two sides to a story and it’s only right to be neutral and hear what the other side has to say before you start judging him. I personally feel his uncle is in the bigger wrong tho.

Anyways guys. If anyone is facing the same issue, a humble advice from a fellow friend. Taking your own life won’t solve your problems. Cherish the God breathed life. Be it Rough or smooth. No one said life was easy. Always remember there are other people suffering worse than ourselves and batting it. Take one step at a time. I’m sure there will always be someone there to hear you out and walk through life with you just as Shek had Sanjee.

For all the haters out there! You are not God and don’t try to play God. God will pronounce judgement coz his Righteous and Just. So please go on and live your fragile life.
    If anyone has a friend going through difficult times, your little gesture or kindness and help will go a long way for those struggling. Show some Love.

46. Music

August 18, 2015 at 11:51 pm

Don’t you see that he have depression due to many family problem. You all know how bad army camp are and how stubborn encik and officer are. They are always rights . what they say we need to follow if not they will threaten with SOL or DB. Not trying to say they are not doing their job i think SAF should make it mandatory and send them to some training course so they can handle this situation better and if they fail to comply take should be punish too.

47. Gillian

August 18, 2015 at 11:59 pm

The encik was not wrong in punishing him for being two hours late, he is a part of the military after all. What he is trying to teach him is to learn to manage his responsibilities well. As a soldier, and citizen of his country, his first responsibility should be to his country and job, the way that most people here would want it to be in times of crisis and war. If every soldier deserted his post to coddle his grandmother who was scared by the sound of gunfire, then who will we have defending our borders?

I agree though, that his superior should have balanced his punishment with counseling and human empathy, but it is immature to condemn him for doing his job. Just because he did not go beyond the call of duty does not give anyone the right to criticize him. Who knows what problems he faces himself? Instead we should extend the same empathy we expect from him towards him.

But what do I know, I’m just a silly 18 year old.

• Sarah

August 19, 2015 at 11:40 am

Yes, Gillian. That’s what you are. A silly 18 year old.

• peace

August 19, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Sarah, i love what you have said.

Some people really have no sense. They may be intelligent but at the heart corrupted!!

Super NATO!

Gillian you never know what a heads you!

Happy now, no one born lucky in this world!

See next time your future offsprings! !

48. Khairul Anwar Salleh

August 19, 2015 at 12:19 am

My heart sank reading this story. O when will we learn to have compassion and the sensibilities about others who suffers in silence. It’s too easy to comment on his actions but what will be our action be to ensure that another cry can be heard? As a society, we are in a sad state when we are here still busy judging and playing God. May you rest in peace dear Shek. Guys, perhaps a little prayer is best that we can do now and for the future of our sons and country.

49. Niemcy

August 19, 2015 at 12:31 am

I really hope this TAN TECK BENG suffers and suffers and suffers!!! He is the cause of a death and he will bear that on his hands!!! Hope this really sends a message to all others in the NS front. Singaporean boys are forced to serve this and the least you could do is to respect and treat them well. I send my anger, frustrations and curses on TAN TECK BENG!

50. Juu

August 19, 2015 at 3:10 am

What if i told you , religion was the cause of suicide ? a person without religion would forever be free.

• Motherfadhila

August 19, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Juu. what talking u??? Hahaha Forever free or forever wild??? No religion means no concept!!!. No concept means no structure of life….!!! how can u find freedom without any route??? Individual discretion can b impaired anytime at confusion. Wild n suicide is d end result…the religion is one encyclopedia of life purify easing one stress n depression. All these impurities to healthy blood system wl minimise Relief n calm when there is hope. when u belief God is great God witness. Path to fate wl change internally n out. Than u wl realize chemical bond comfort to talk to without provoking oneself. Ideas runs n self building achieve. Don’t play with smoke its dusty n hurts.don’t play with idols n figurines it’s
      Deceiving. Look for originality. Look for cleansing purification hygienic n yoga transcription in life.look for Islam what it is welcoming u with. Go for religious comparison study.n get clarity. If u love yr life starts now!!!

51. Dino

August 19, 2015 at 4:42 am

Lets not talk about personnel or religious or races here. When there is a problem no point of pointing another person.
    The SCDF case,i believe the Officer in charge can save the boy life.Based on the boy statement,He has told the officer number of times explaining so the officer supposed to investigate or check from the boy close buddies.If it is truth he has a family problems that affected the boy performance in serving NS.The officer in charge supposedly try to discuss and share the problems as the boy not really mature enough to think way out from his problem.If the officer in charge might too busy or not professional in tackle the boy matter,he can refer the boy to the social family welfare for further advised.A problem can be solve if somebody take opportunity to solve it.Remember Sharing Is Caring.

52. neutral

August 19, 2015 at 9:40 am

Let’s not listen to 1 sided story…. if everyone keep blaming this encik and he ends up committing suide due to the stress you and the media contributes. Then everyone happy??? If someone is not willing to share how can others help. How do you all know that encik do nothing?? NS is a place with strong disciplinary groundings. If all soldiers can be excused due to personal reasons. Who will stay to fend us. I have family members in ns. I know the pain cos he came home injured during training….let’s not blame everything to government. Everyone has a part to play. If the buddy is really worried about his pal. He should have brace himself to tell encik to save him in the first place…..

53. Emillia

August 19, 2015 at 10:56 am

I read with sadness this story of a troubled young man that had seen suicide as a way to escape his troubles. I just wish someone had alerted the appropriate people to highlighthis troubles and rendered help.

My one question and one wish to SCDF is:

1. How do you move forward from this incident. I hope that you have learned from this incident as an organisation and please choose wisely when you select officers to be in charge of any young squad. He should not only be technically competent but also someone with some people leadership skills that are able to identify vulnerable young NSF and give them the support required.

In this case, the officer failed to look into the possibility that the non compliances were due to genuine hindrances arising from the NSF family issues. on the part of the yyoung NSF man

54. Emillia

August 19, 2015 at 11:01 am

My one question and one wish to SCDF is:

In this case, the officer failed to look into the possibility that the non compliances were due to genuine hindrances arising from the NSF family issues. No one will want to be a burden to anyone and in context of an NSF men, his squad. No one will want to undergo repeated punishment unless he really ” has had no choice / voice in the matter”.

I also hope that this can be a lesson to all that are in the position that deals with young people

55. Emillia

August 19, 2015 at 11:10 am

Hope those in position that deals with young people also learned from this incident and take time or a step back to look at a problem of these young people with diligence and understanding. Nobody wants to be a burden to anyone, in the context of an NSF men, a burden to his squad. To SCDF, please put in place safety networks that these NS men can go to when need arises.

I sincerelyjope that someone is there for his grandmother. RIP.

56. Emillia

August 19, 2015 at 11:18 am

Pls pardon my typo errors, its because I was blinded with tears from reading this story…

57. Anonymous

August 19, 2015 at 11:39 am

Seriously, the government needs to look into the whole NS system. One thing I am sure of, the lack of leadership in some units. The mismatch of the boys capabilities and inclination to their vocation is another. I have a lot more to say, but I am afraid, very afraid, in case my son kena sabo. U know what I mean?

58. Nameless

August 19, 2015 at 4:31 pm

ENCIK SSG TAN TECK BENG from 1st Divion SCDF Caused the death of an NSF – made him jump to his death .
    Please share this with Everyone you know so that the public will push pressure on the government to charge this Staff Sergeant and Remove him from his Job.

Petition to remove ENCIK SSG TAN TECK BENG
    We need to shame ENCIK SSG TAN TECK BENG for his gross misdeeds
    His actions caused the death of someone.

59. Filial_sheep

August 19, 2015 at 8:43 pm

What happened to one united people? Regardless of race language or religion?

60. lololololol

August 20, 2015 at 2:28 am

One united people..? nvr heard before.. manchester united i got heard, yesterday champion league win 3-1..

61. qamsa crut

August 21, 2015 at 12:01 pm

THE STAFF SGT INVOLVED IS A SATAN.

62. qamsa crut

August 21, 2015 at 12:43 pm

THE SSGT IS DAMN HEARTLESS..

THIS CASE REMINDS ME OF A MALAY NSMAN (ARMY) BACK IN THE 80S/90S.. HE WAS DUNKED REPEATEDLY IN A TRENCH/TRUNK OF WATER BY HIS SNR OFFCR AFTER A TEDIOUS TRAINING WITH FULL KIT ON. NOT WANTING TO BLV THAT THE NSMAN WAS REALLY TIRED.

INVESTIGATIONS REVEALED THE VICTIM WAS (ACCCORDING TO NEWSPAPER REPORTS) WAS INDEED VERY EXHAUSTED. THE NSMAN FINALLY DIED OF SUFFOCATION.

THE END RESULTS WERE THE OFFCR WAS GIVEN A LIGHT SENTENCE – FEW MONTHS IN JAIL. NOW, U HEARTLESS GUYS,, WHOEVER U R, WHATEVER RANKS U HOLD, DO NOT EQUATE MALAYS’ LIVES TO THAT OF FISH.

RMMBER, MALAYS CAN PERFORM EQUALLY WELL IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY AND TRUST.. SOUNDS RACIES? NO NO NO. PONDER AND THINK WISELY.

63. ctgvyhbnjimk

August 23, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Na, the best way to deal with such issue with ns is to do the following:

1.Give a I don’t give a damn attitude, just do what is being instructed and heck care the outcome of your work. Regardless good or bad. Once your officer is piss off with you, they might transfer you to a more lepak posting.

2.Keeps sending in complain, feedback and suggestion letters and email anonymously by stirring almost every single thing. This confirm will makes things change, temporary making them tulan/wake up, they might even scare of you and won’t do anything funny onto you.

3.Always try to think positively regardless of the situation.

•Yes, serving 2 years of ns is sucks but the regulars around you they might have to serve ns till they reach retirement age by signing on to the force. See who is worse than you now?

•Always keep this sentence in your heart and mind that you serve ns is for your country and citizens. Not for the gov or the force! Confirm this will motivate and giving you the strength to endure all odds throughout the 2 years.

•Treat ns as it is part of life.

At the same time, we cannot say that the officers are totally in wrong. Same goes to the outside world, if the superiors are being too nice, the subordinates might climb over their heads/nothing gets done. I would say doing things in the right and the proportion way. Only punish them if they really neglect at their work or purposely. Best is to go understand your men.

If someday I were to get the chance of holding the position of uniformed senior officer or a manager. I will do the following:

1. Confirm the first year I will be extremely busy by studying everything that relates to my role and department. I will heck care whatever my men are doing as long no complain, I will assume that things are fine.

2. Once every week/month, I will prepare a stack of papers/asking my men to go home write feedback/things to be concern with, without their names on the paper and submit to me. I will bring the issues up to the management.

3. I will ask my men to address my name, regardless how high/senior I’m in the organization. Because we are all equal as living beings, once in the public we are nobody except at work or home. Except when bigger shots is with me or during major events.

4. Whoever bday, I will give him/her $50 to buy makan or an off in lieu. If they are taking 1 week course or anything important but they have used up all their leaves. I shall grant them off in lieu.

5. I will constantly guide and forgive my men for their mischief and mistakes at work as long it is not done by purposely, unlawful or by negligence.

6. I will encourage them to speak up, to challenge me and correct me when I’m wrong.

64. ctvygbun

August 23, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Yes, retribution does exist. During my ns time those officers who tekkan me either kena hentak kaki or kena charge. While I never go do anything funny to them at their back, just let god deal with them patiently with time.