A baby has been permanently blinded in one eye, after a family friend forgot to turn off the flash while taking a close-up photograph of the little one.
The 3-month-old suffered irreparable damage from the camera flash, which was held about 10 inches away from the boy.
His parents found that he had suffered reduced vision in his left eye and blindness in his right eye, which doctors say is permanent and cannot be fixed with surgery.
Doctors say damage to the macula can lead to the loss of central vision, which allows people to see straight ahead.
The macula is not fully developed until children are four, meaning youngsters are very sensitive to strong light.
Scientists advise parents not to bathe their infants in bathrooms with strong light as this could also damage their eyes.