Here’s 10 reasons why a reader believes Lee Kuan Yew should still be a Member of Parliament, even though he might not even have the strength to shake hands:
1. Because I have a roof of my own over my head?
2. Because most if not all of my family and friends have a roof of their own over their heads?
3. Because my 75 year-old mum can go for wedding dinners decked out in her fine jewellery and come home on her own at 11pm in the night and I don’t have to worry?
4. Because when we pump petrol at petrol kiosks, we don’t have the fear of someone jumping in to drive the car away with my 10 year old nephew in it?
5. Because I don’t own a car and yet I travel round for work and leisure a happy commuter using public transport?
6. Because when it pours, I can actually get to my train station or bus interchange using the covered walkway without the need of an umbrella?
7. Because I can log on to my computer or mobile devices anytime of the day at any place to read trash written by the likes of you?
8. Because my family hardly spent a cent on medical bills on my late father despite him being diagnosed with cancer of the bones?
9. Because I can eat food products from the supermarts without worrying about the origin of the oil?
10. Because how I was able to make friends with a group of Japanese businessmen who hardly spoke a word of English (save for one) 26 years ago while slurping ramen at a roadside pushcart in Tokyo through a conversation over this man named Lee Kuan Yew and how I was totally glowing with pride due to the praises they were gushing over him?
This letter was written by Sim Cher Guan.
Send us your letters at firstname.lastname@example.org
Singh Gapoor Lang
November 15, 2014 at 10:58 am
In summary, as per the usual believer refrain, the defence is “be grateful”. Sorry people, he is well served with lifelong pension and medical benefits (as far as I know only removed post-2012). Financially and physically, he is probably better cared for than letter writer.
As far as gratitude goes, we as a people, have paid back generously (best paid Cabinet in the world) so yup, it’s time for leadership renewal. It is a really backward people, who only look to past glories.
Be honest: HDB, SMRT, SBS, gun control laws… all established pre-1990. Last 20 years leh? I’m being kind with the date, round down… That’s where I think we hit a rough patch.
If Dear Leader Lee don’t lead by example, and make way for new blood, I hope letter writer touch his heart and say whether at current rate of inflation, his kids are sure to get their own roof and enjoy public transport.